I got an email yesterday from Chapters/Indigo- Canada's largest and, ahem, best bookstore. The subject line sat in my inbox in big, bold letters: Who is your book boyfriend?
A book boyfriend, according to this email, is the fictional character (from a book, obviously) who, if he were real, you would want as your boyfriend. Since this is all hypothetical, I've decided to have several book boyfriends. In no particular order, some of them are:
1. Alex Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles. Sure he's in a gang and does some not-so-great stuff (drug dealing, anyone?). He does it to protect his brothers, so that they don't have to live that life. He turns his entire life around for Brittany. He always has the best intentions, even when his actions don't show it. His heart is golden and his love is real: could you ask for anything more? Not really.
2. Rob Wilkins from Vanished/1-800-Where-R-U, by Meg Cabot. On the surface, he seems like Alex Fuentes. Another bad boy who turns good for the love of his life. That's where you're wrong. Aside from the detentions and his motorcycle, Rob never does anything to cement his bad boy status. In my mind, he looks like Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You; suffice it to say, yum!
3. Brian Scanlon from Sweet Memories, by LaVyrle Spencer. A guy who ignores a girl's biggest assets because he knows she's self-conscious of them? Who, understanding of her plight, falls in love with everything except how she looks. Not because he finds her ugly; it's because she's insecure in her looks. Seriously, tell me that isn't romantic.
I have a million more book boyfriends. The truth is, I love 'em all for different reasons. But if I'm really being honest, I probably love them most of all because of the fiction: their faults and imperfections are endearing, and the only thing worse than the fact they aren't real is the thought of them not getting the girl in the end.
Who is your book boyfriend? Do you have several too? Maybe this year, I'll make one of them my Valentine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The only one who gets approval from me, the BFF, is the last dude. When did you go all bad boy gaga on me?? Drug dealers? Gang members? Detention goers? Motorcycle riders? We've been there, done that honey. Stick to the cheesy good guys.
ReplyDelete