Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Adultbopper (Or Why I Love The Jonas Brothers)

Despite being 2/3 in their 20s, 100% adults; despite being recognized by "legitimate" magazine like Rolling Stone (what makes them legitimate, anyways? What makes someone illegitimate?); despite being nominated for a Grammy: WHY DON'T ADULTS LIKE THE JONAS BROTHERS?

I firmly believe that the Disney label turns adults off from them. If you just listened to Critical from JONAS LA, or Wouldn't Change A Thing feat. Demi Lovato from Camp Rock- without knowing who you were listening to- the first thought popping into your mind would not be "Well this is clearly music meant for 13 year olds."

But because of the Disney label, the label that made them famous, adults are automatically turned off. Well, I'm not. Here's why:

1. Their music is catchy.
2. They're hot.
3. They write their own songs, and play their own instruments- talent that not many artists of our generation can also claim.
4. They're actually grateful for the opportunity that they have, to make music for a living and travel the world. They actually care about those who spend countless hours, and millions of dollars, just to make this their reality: the fans.
(Those who know me can attest that I hate artists who take it for granted. Britney Spears, anyone?)
5. They put on a damn good show.

I'm writing this, because Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert is coming out on DVD on Tuesday. Nick Jonas sings the role of Marius in it. Just in case you weren't sure about this, here's a youtube video of "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables."

I challenge you to listen to it. Do not judge him by the Disney name, or the Jonas Brothers music. Do not compare him to all other Marius's, most of whom had training in musical theater, and had done the role for more than Nick's 3 weeks. Just listen, with an open mind. There's the challenge.

6 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention, credit for the Youtube video goes to torashies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it has anything to do with the Disney label. I think it's that most "adults" (aka anyone who doesn't want to be considered childish by their peers, regardless of their age) can't wrap their mind around the idea of listening to a band that 12 and 13 year olds listen to. Just think back to when we were in high school ... most adults, or at least the ones I knew, were totally turned off by BSB, N*SYNC, Hanson, etc and none of those bands were signed with Disney.

    I'd be willing to bet that most adults, unless they have kids who are into Jonas Brothers or have read an article about them, aren't even aware that they're signed with Disney. All they know is that teenagers like them and that alone is enough to turn them off. It's an age thing and an assumption that "adults" can't possibly like the same things as "kids/teens" unless they're immature.

    This is slightly unrelated, but I also think it's interesting that back in our day (the wonderful 90s) most popstars became super famous and hit their prime when they were 17-19 ... think Britney, Christina, etc. Nowadays, the average age for a popstar's peak popularity is 13-16. And that, I believe, is definitely thanks to the Disney Channel.

    That's my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - The only reason I know Jonas Brothers are signed with Disney is because you told me. Otherwise, I'd have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really, genuinely surprised that you wouldn't have known they're Disney. Disney does a really good job at inserting thie own name anywhere possible: "Watch Disney's JONAS LA", go see "Disney stars the Jonas Brothers" buy the latest album from "Disney's own, the JB".

    Based on your theory, why wouldn't you want to listen to the same music as 12-13 year olds? We were all that age once, and loved our music from then. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never said that I, Stephanie the great, wouldn't want to listen to the same music as 12-13 year olds ... heck, I would go to a Justin Bieber concert in a flash. I love that kid, I want to adopt him. The Jonas Brothers just annoy me ("Stevie!") .. my dislike for them has nothing to do with their target audience age.

    As for most adults, sure they were 12-13 yrs old once upon a time but they'd argue that they have "matured" and "progressed" past the teeny-bopper stage. Not saying that's a fair or accurate opinion, just saying that's what they'd tell you if you threw that question at them.

    And yeah, I had no idea they were associated with Disney until you got into them. I don't watch Disney Channel, I don't read celebrity magazines of any kind, the radio stations I listen to don't play JB music, I don't watch Entertainment Tonight and I haven't been to Disney World since 2002 ... how the heck would I know? lol

    This has been a fascinating conversation, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been quite the eye-opening conversation. I don't know how I feel about adults (in general) disliking Jonas Brothers based on target audience age. Something else to ponder.

    ReplyDelete