Monday, March 14, 2011

What A Difference An Hour Makes

On a usual workday, I give myself 15 minutes to get ready for the day. While I never feel panicky or stressed, there is a certain rush in trying to get geared up in such a small amount of time. For Lent, I've decided to try changing up my routine. I want to wake up 45 minutes earlier, and read from my Bible during that time.

I started it this morning, a little late after Ash Wednesday. But better late than never, right? It was so nice, to have one full hour before the hustle and bustle of a Monday. Before my day even got started, I felt productive. By the time I normally would've woken up, I was actually awake, dressed, ready for the day- and I'd read a bit, too.

I was able to finish 2 Samuel this morning. While it didn't "wow" me, there was a short passage which I liked. It is from Chapter 22, "David's Song of Praise," verses 2-3, 47:

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me,
and my place of safety.
He is my refuge, my savior,
the one who saves me from violence.
The Lord lives! Praise to my Rock!
May God, the Rock of my salvation, be exalted!"

(BibleGateway.com)

I'm looking forward to continuing this tomorrow morning, with 1 Kings. I never would have believed the difference one hour can make in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! So proud of you honey! :)

    Now that I'm home, I was able to pull out my Bible and scan through the things I'd highlighted and underlined in 2 Samuel.

    What stood out to me the most was David's incredible faith. Like in chapter 15, verse 16 it says he "left ten slave women to take care of the palace". He knew he'd be back on the throne and that this circumstance was only temporary because he served the one true God who would protect him no matter what. Love King David!

    As for 1 Kings, I highlighted quite a bit in chapter 1 .. pretty much every verse from 22-44. I love the hints of God's grace.
    xo

    ReplyDelete