Sunday, March 20, 2011

Home

Ever since I can remember, I haven't felt 'at home' in Montreal, or Quebec at all. Politically, language issues were my main reason ofr not feeling comfortable here. There are far too many layers to peel back and thoroughly explore, if I want to pinpoint the exact reasons for my not liking it here. Suffice it to say, I always knew I'd move away one day. It was almost like growing up with one foot out the door- I just never knew where my other foot lived.

I turned 24 on Friday. 24. Oh boy. In my wildest dreams, I never pictured myself at 24 this way. I never thought I'd still live in Montreal. Didn't think I'd still be living with my parents. Always imagined that I'd be a skilled driver (preferrably with my own, really cool car). Final score is 0 for 3.

I have no immediate plans to leave here. Don't even know where in the world I would go. So, I've decided to take my foot back, and make Montreal home. I'm going to take a class or two, and learn new skills. Meet new people, and widen my social circle. Find favorite places to go, and go there.

I'm not saying I'll live here forever. I'm just saying that for once in my life, I want to really LIVE where it is that I'm living. Happy birthday, me!

1 comment:

  1. that's great honey! The sermon at my church today was actually on being content in the present instead of falling into the habit of thinking "I'll be content WHEN ..." I, like you, never thought of Montreal as truly home and I was glad to leave and I know I will probably never move back. But, in retrospect, I do wish I had done more things and been more involved during my 23 years there. You'll find your true hometown eventually but in the meantime, make them most of your time in la belle province. And eat a poutine for me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete