Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Goals

This year, instead of resolutions, I've decided to give myself goals. The way I see it, resolutions are achieved or they aren't. Goals are reached by working towards them. Even if you don't succeed, you can't fail, so long as you try. So, I have goals.

My 2 goals are fairly simple. First, I want to get out of the house more, both for work and for fun. Maybe work from a coffee shop once in a while. Maybe take an evening class. The possibilities are endless. Second, I want to read AT LEAST one hour per day. Why do I capitalize at least, you ask? Well, let me tell you why. I don't want to miss a day. God knows I spend enough time on the computer, watching TV, on the phone. There is no reason to not have an hour a day for a good book. I also don't want to fall into the trap of averaging it out: "I read 2 hours yesterday, so I don't have to read today." Knowing me, I'd give myself a whole bunch of days sans reading, without making those hours up.

Right now, I'm reading Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris. It's the 4th (and latest) in the Harper Connelly series. She's a terrific author. Every book of hers I've picked up, I couldn't put down. In case you don't recognize her name, she's the author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, the Harper Connelly series, the Aurora Teagarden mysteries, and the Lily Bard books.

I'm hoping these goals won't be too hard to reach this year. And if not, at least I've started working on them. Where I'm sitting, I'm already accomplished for the year - well, maybe just the month. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment