Saturday, January 22, 2011

I Confess

I confess that last night, I didn't stick to my goal of reading everyday. I worked all day, and in the evening I went to my friend Kristie's for a hockey-filled scrap evening. (Hockey and scrapbooking don't normally go together, I know. One of the weird quirks of being Canadian, I suppose.)

Last night, I worked on a mini-album full of my favorite book quotes. All the pages are done, I just need to add quotes to less than half of the pages. I haven't yet taken any pictures (sorry!), but I would like to share some of the quotes I already have.

"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
-Dr Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut

"If I've learned one lesson from all that's happened to me, it's that there is no such thing as the biggest mistake of your existence. There's no such thing as ruining your life. Life's a pretty resilient thing, it turns out."
-Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess

"If I have to choose between you and me, I like me better."
-Charlaine Harris, The Sookie Stackhouse series

"Sometimes, she thought, courage was simply a matter of putting one foot in front of another and not stopping."
-Anita Shreve, The Pilot's Wife

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."
-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"By maidhood, honour, truth and everything,
I love thee so, that, maugre all thy pride,
Nor wit nor reason can my passion hide.
Do not extort thy reasons from this clause
For that I woo, thou therefore hast no cause.
But rather reason thus with reason fetter,
Love sought is good
But given unsought is better."
-William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night Act III Scene I

"My bullshit meter is reading that as false."

-Charlaine Harris, Dead As A Doornail



"Approval is overrated. Approval and disapproval alike satisfy those who deliver it more than those who receive it."

-Gregory Maguire, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister


"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

-JK Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"Oh, it is absurd to have a hard and fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read."

-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

So, that's what I have thus far. An eclectic group of books, and that is intentional. I'd like to add more quotes from my childhood books, and maybe 1-2 young adult. What are some of your favorite book quotes? I'd love to hear 'em!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite book quote of all time (so far) is actually from Vladimir Nabokov's book, Lolita. It's the first few line of the book and it captured me right away ...

    "She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms, she was always Lolita."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually a really sweet line. I'm still trying to find more quotes that I like, and it's proving to be much harder than I thought it would be. I guess I assumed that because I read a lot, I'd have a bunch. But instead, it's finding quotes that really strike me, even out of their context.

    ReplyDelete