Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shakespeare Initiative

Well, I did it. I finished reading another book from my 2011 Reading List tonight. Cross Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris off the list. The next book I'm planning to read is Othello, by Shakespeare. It's part of the Shakespeare Initiative.

What is the Shakespeare Initiative? For a few years now, I've been wanting to read all of Shakespeare's plays. I started back in Nov-December 2011, and have manged to successfully cross a handful off the list, including: Love's Labour's Lost (read during high school), Macbeth, King Lear and Twelfth Night. Thus far, his comedies are my favorites, by far.

It'll be interesting to read through all of Othello. In high school, I switched English classes after the Christmas break, so I've never finished the play. I read the first half of Othello, and the last half of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Needless to say, I may as well have not ready any part of either one.

I'm really happy to be getting back to the Bard. There are a few publications where they include a modern-day interpretation of the works, which is so helpful. My favorites are Shakespeare On The Double! and No Fear Shakespeare.

1 comment:

  1. YAY !!!! You brought your comments back! Woot woot. Did you know there's a Shakespeare festival here every year? It's called Bard on the Beach and they set up big tents by the ocean and there are plays every night. You should totally come! :)

    I read Othello in high school. Don't remember much about it. I also saw the modern remake, O, starring Julia Stiles a few years back. All I remember about that is a pretty graphic sex scene.

    PS - Unless you are some kind of time-traveling freak, you didn't start the initiative in Nov-Dec 2011.

    ReplyDelete